Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What would it be like to be blind?

I think most of us are guilty for saying "oh, I don't really see the face, it's the heart that matters." , but how many times do we really see a person for their heart and not their faces? Like it or not, we do see people at face value; and if you have a pleasant looking face somehow half the battle is done for you. For example, if a pretty looking girl were to suddenly come up to you and ask you for your phone number, you are more likely to give her your number; but if someone who has a disfigured face were to approach you and ask you for your number, I think most of us would hesitate to give out our numbers.

So, back to the question, how many times do we really see a person for their hearts and not their faces? Because the face is what we see before we are willing to give the heart a chance. And then I thought, being blind has it's benefits too, because I think the blind see much more clearer than we who have sight. They "see" the true heart of a person. To the blind, the social world is equal (for the people who approach them). They don't give chances just because you are pretty/ handsome, and they get to know you for you. I don't see it as the blind has to accept whoever that comes their way just because they are handicap and if they don't accept them then nobody wants them, but how I look at it is that they genuinely get to know you for who you really are inside without prejudice or judgement based on physical appearance.

I appreciate my ability to see and am grateful for it (though my eyesight isn't perfect), but sometimes I wonder, what would it be like to be blind for a day?  To be able to feel the love of the people who help you on your journey, the love of your family, things which we take for granted; and to get to know people for who they really are, and I suppose people could really be themselves around blind people coz the blind is not gonna frown at your fully tattooed body, or frown at you for being dressed like a prostitute. To the blind, we are all humans who have needs and deserve to be loved and be heard. I believe it would be a wonderful experience to see people through the eyes of a blind person.

Haih...very naive of me I must admit, to think that being blind is all that wonderful, I'm pretty sure they would trade all the money in the world to regain their sight...all the hardships they go through....I just wish that people or for that matter, myself, could be blind to physical appearance or to skin colour, but somehow i think it's kindda impossible to do unless you're completely blind -.- WORLD Y U SO COMPLICATED!!!   

No comments: