Thursday, April 10, 2014

Simple things

One thing about working in a location such as KL Sentral is that I get the opportunity to witness the simple things in life through the life of others; and thats not all, I get all the opportunity to make a difference in the society. 

As we all know, KL sentral is a disabled friendly train station. Every once in a while I see people who are blind trying to get their way across the station and one random person would just go up to the person to offer their assistance. There's still hope in this world you know? ;) this act of kindness deserves a candid shot, that moment is really beautiful. 

Just yesterday, after work, I was waiting for my dad to pick me up from the other side of the station, and thats when I saw this couple, both blind finding their way across the station. It's literally the blind leading the blind, with the guy holding the hand of the lady and leading her across the station. Just a blind couple passing through right? No biggie! But what caught my attention was that though they were blind, they were happy. I admit stalking them for a bit coz I was a little afraid to approach them to guide them to their destination as I feared my dad would be arriving any time soon. So I just followed them behind to make sure they were ok. And there the guy was, chatting happily to the girl, leading the way as if he had sight. Their conversation was light and cheerful and I really admired them. It was like happiness doesn't have to come on the form of money nor having a fully able body, they were contented and happy with each other's company, and no disability could stop them. I finally got the guts to ask them if they needed help when they knocked into someone coming in the entrance. And the guy happily told me: " it's ok! We just have to walk straight and we will reach our destination" and continued to happily chat with the lady he was leading. A lesson learnt indeed :)

Oh and one thing about working in a location as such? I get braver and braver each day to approach a disabled person to offer my assistance when I get the opportunity. I get braver too to offer up my seat to deserving people on the LRT. I usually shy away or pretend not to see as I was so cowardly in the past. But I'm glad to say that it's different now, and I'm glad to see fellow Malaysians doing the same too. Though not many, but still, there is hope lol

No comments: