Monday, January 26, 2015

                                   

Sometimes, I think about my past work experience as an intern. I think of the transition from study life to work life. I used to hear people say that the transition was hard and a challenge to adapt to. I didn't understand until I went for my internship in Le Meridien, where I was constantly yelled at by my boss and kept on my toes all the time. My boss told me during my interview that if I can stand her, everything else would be peanuts. My colleagues told me, if I can stand her, nothing is impossible for me. I still remember the dreaded feelings I had when I go to work, mainly coz I was trying to adapt to my new environment.. 3 and a half months into the company and I still found it a challenge. Today I'm reminded of those feelings. Waking up and going to school sometimes feels challenging. With all the new responsibilities, duties, paperwork, lesson planning, syllabus and students can seem overwhelming; but somehow I don't picture myself going back to the corporate world. I don't know if I would change my mind in the future, but for now, I can't imagine going back to the corporate world. It's like all the uncertainties that I face now, I would rather have those as compared to having uncertainties in the corporate world coz I know I'm facing these challenges for a cause. Before entering the program, I knew that it was going to be hard, but what I didn't know was that it was going to be THIS hard, but I will persevere on for a good cause. Somehow knowing that end goal makes the challenges bearable. 

Today I tried something new in my most challenging class, for the first time, I had their attention and were listening to me. What surprise me the most was that the same method did not work so well with my better class kids :/ but I'm gonna celebrate the little success for my 3A and 3B class. Some people say that these kind of kids have no hope, but today I saw hope in them, and I hope I can change the view point of people too that all kids have the potential to learn and can excel. Every time I think of how difficult my kids are, I think of the people who works for Dignity, how teachers have to go into squatter homes where kids live in sad conditions, and are sometimes expose to sexual and physical abuse and drag them to come to school. Thinking of the kids they face and comparing it to mine.. Mine seems like nothing. 

Though for now I don't know if I'm making an impact at all, but at the end of the day I know for sure I'm coming out a different person. Hoping for a better and brighter tomorrow :)

No comments: